After already having traveled for a full year around South East Asia, I know exactly how much easier life on the road is when you’re not lugging around a backpack the same size as you. Whilst most of what I have noted below is actually not necessary, it is convenient to have. So have a look, take notes and learn from my mistakes.
Weighing it below 20kg, this is what I packed in preparation for a year’s worth of travel around the world.
Packing the bare minimum means that you can buy clothing at your destination that is culturally appropriate.
- 3 Skirts/pants that cover the knees
- 6 Plain sleeved tops (Surprisingly, I struggled to find plain tops overseas)
- Rain jacket
- 1 Pair of jeans
- 7 Pairs of undies
- 2 Bras
- 3 Pairs of socks
- My favorite hat (not necessary)
- 1 Pair of flip flops
- 1 Pair of hiking/walking shoes
I suggest buying cleansers and skin care products at your destination. This is because I find they are not only cheaper, but also climatised.
Saying this, I recommend taking your favourite makeup. I have very pale skin and consequently was forced to search high and low for a matching skin tone in India.
- Insect repellent (you can buy this overseas but I still like to take a bottle)
- Sunscreen (usually, it can be expensive overseas)
- Castilles soap
- Handful of feminine hygiene products
- Travel compact towel
- Sleeping bag liner
- Adaptors (universal ideal)
- Pocket torch
- Spare batteries (not necessary)
- Dry bag (could get away without but if you have one, why not?)
- Rain cover for bag
- Travel clothes line
- Swiss army knife
- Door stop (mainly for girls)
- Travel locks
- Duct tape
- Technology charges
- Nail clippers
- Photocopies of all you travel documentation
- USB’s for travel documents and backing up photographs
Most of the items below are readily available overseas – and at a cheaper price than in Australia. Despite this, I chose to pack the following items for convenience and in preparation for being caught off guard by any unanticipated illnesses.
- Anti-malarials (as required)
- 2 x Antibiotics (bowel and general)
- Water purification tablets
- Anti-nausea tablets
- First aid kit (travelers or basic)
Carry On Luggage
- Technology – camera, laptop, phone etc.
- Travel Documentation – passport, flight, insurance certificate, vaccination card etc.
- Light jumper or cardigan